Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Later. Jonathan Harker's Journal.


Later. -- I must have fallen asleep, for I was awaked by Mina, who was sitting up in bed, with a startled look on her face. I could see easily, for we did not leave the room in darkness; she had placed a warning hand over my mouth, and now she whispered in my ear:--

Hush! there is someone in the corridor!

I got up softly, and, crossing the room, gently opened the door.

Just outside, stretched on a mattress, lay Mr. Morris, wide awake. He raised a warning hand for silence as he whispered to me:--

Hush! go back to bed; it is all right. One of us will be here all night. We don't mean to take any chances!

His look and gesture forbade discussion, so I came back and told Mina. She sighed and positively a shadow of a smile stole over her poor, pale face as she put her arms round me and said softly:--

Oh, thank God for good brave men!

With a sigh she sank back again to sleep. I write this now as I am not sleepy, though I must try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment